Northwest Lifting Services are members of the Ladder Association and engineers are trained in the Inspection and reporting of Ladders & steps.
REQUIREMENTS FOR LADDERS
1. Every employer shall ensure that when a ladder is used for work at height only if the use of a more suitable work equipment is not justified because of the low risk and —
(a) the short duration of use; or
(b) existing features on site which he cannot be altered.
2. A ladder shall be so positioned as to ensure its stability during use.
3. Suspended ladders shall be attached in a secure manner and so that, with the exception of a flexible ladder, it cannot be displaced and swinging is prevented.
4. A portable ladder shall be prevented from slipping during use by —
(a) securing the stiles at or near their upper or lower ends;
(b) an effective anti-slip or other effective stability device; or
(c) any other arrangement of equivalent effectiveness.
5. A ladder used for access shall be long enough to protrude sufficiently above the place of landing to which it provides access, unless other measures have been taken to ensure a firm handhold.
6. No interlocking or extension ladder shall be used unless its sections are prevented from moving relative to each other while in use.
7. A mobile ladder shall be prevented from moving before it is stepped on.
8. Where a ladder or run of ladders rises a vertical distance of 9 metres or more above its base, there shall, where reasonably practicable, be provided at suitable intervals sufficient safe landing areas or rest platforms.
9. Every ladder shall be used in such a way that— (a) a secure handhold and secure support are always available to the user; and
(b) the user can maintain a safe handhold when carrying a load unless, in the case of a step ladder, the maintenance of a handhold is not practicable when a load is carried, and a risk assessment under regulation 3 of the Management Regulations has demonstrated that the use of a stepladder is justified because of—
(i) the low risk; and
(ii) the short duration of use.
Would you like to know more? For any information regarding our services, or for a no obligation quote then don't hesitate to contact us.
Contact us anytime on 07719 843344 or 07395 838469